Fantastic Arcade Committee Application
|Name||Fantastic Arcade Committee Application|
Why Serve on a Fantastic Arcade Committee?
We are seeking new voices to shape the reality of Fantastic Arcade and Games Y’all. Maybe you love what we do and want to get more involved. Maybe you’re seeking community, skill-building, or professional development. Or maybe you’ve got some spare time on your hands and want to spend it co-creating a community you love.
Who We're Looking For
We strive for strong representation of BIPOC, disabled, LGBTQIA+, women, and gender non-binary individuals in our leadership to best serve our diverse community. Folks of identities that are underrepresented in the games industry are especially encouraged to apply (whether you work in the industry or not).
This year we are particularly interested in candidates with skills or interest any of these areas:
- Outreach and community building
- Event production
- Photo and video documentation for events
Game Committee - select games, spotlight creators, coordinate developers
Communications Committee - press, documentation, social media, and website
Production Committee - event production, volunteer support, tech maintenance
Mod Squad - Discord moderation and code of conduct violation report review
Full descriptions of Fantastic Arcade Committee Roles can be found here.
Process to Join a Committee
- Read about the committee positions and submit an application here or play the game we made.
- You’ll need to have volunteered for Games Y’all at least twice.
- Know someone who would be a good fit? Nominate them by emailing email@example.com with the subject line “Committee Nomination”
After you’ve applied
- Committee members and staff will review your application.
- In line with our mission, we prioritize individuals from underrepresented groups (including BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, women, nonbinary, and/or disabled individuals) and strive for over 50% representation on all Committees.
- Applications do not expire. If a fitting position is not available at the time of application, we will reach out if one becomes available.
- You’ll be assigned a Buddy (current committee member) to shadow for 2 shifts
- You’ll eventually serve as a Buddy for a future committee member!
- Committee terms are a 1 year commitment
- Term limits per role are 1 consecutive year. We encourage taking breaks or trying new roles to allow space for new folks.
- Members may apply to re-join a prior role after a break or if the spot is unable to be filled.
- Individuals may serve on up to 2 committees at the same time.
- In line with our value of nurturing an inclusive, trusting, and supportive space - all Committee members* must serve a 3-month term on the Mod Squad.
What's Expected of Committee Members?
Monthly Time Commitment - approx 10hrs
- Committee meetings - 2 hours
- Meet once per month as a committee to debrief + plan for next month
- Games Y’all meetups - 2-6 hours
- Attend at least 2 per quarter
- Specific time commitment per meetup is determined by your role/responsibilities
- Keep in touch - approx 1 hour
- Check in with your Committee on Discord as needed
- Other role specific tasks - approx 3 hours
Quarterly Time Commitment - 2hrs
- Quarterly All-Committee Meetings - 2 hours every third month
- A time for all committees to check in, connect, and plan together
- Timely and clear communication. Don’t assume shared knowledge, create a structure to stay connected, listen to each other.
- Accountability. Share the workload, follow through with commitments you’ve made, speak up if you are unable to meet your commitments or need more support.
- Be the committee member you hope to have. Check your ego, make space for others.
- Be cool. Respect each other, differences in skills and perspectives, and boundaries.
- Recognize and celebrate achievements and progress!
- Know and uphold the Code of Conduct.
- 3 months of service on the Mod Squad
- Have fun! This is a volunteer role, not a job. If you’re feeling burned out or stressed out - let’s find a way to make it better.
- Review new committee member applications and serve as a buddy for new committee members.
- Meet time commitments outlined below.
Current Committee Members
- Coby West - Production Committee, Tech Lead; Communications Committee, Lead Discord Moderator
- Carrie Witt - Games Committee, Co-chair; Communications Committee, Graphic Designer
- Jonathan Levine - Production Committee, Runner; Games Committee, Outreach Officer
- Jay Roff-Garcia - Production Committee, Co-Chair; At Large
- Rachel Stuckey - At Large